Thursday, May 26, 2005

Cardinals Trades - 1999

Let's get right to it.

The Cardinals send Braden Looper, Armando Almanza, and Pablo Ozuna to the Florida Marlins for Edgar Renteria.

In an effort to win the World Series before Y2K ended the world as we know it, Walt went after a young shortstop with a championship in his portfolio.

Braden Looper was easily the best player given up in this trade. Having pitched 3.1 innings for the Cardinals in 1998 with a 5.40 ERA, young Looper has gone on to become a closer, currently with the Mets. Since leaving St. Louis Looper is 18-18 with 75 saves, a 3.45 ERA, and a World Series ring.

Almanza hasn't been as successful as Looper, but is still making a living playing a kids game. He managed to play 5 years with the Marlins and spent last year in Atlanta. Over his career, the reliever is 14-13 with 2 saves and a 4.87 ERA over 210.2 innings.

Ozuna was supposed to develop into the stud of this bunch. Yet more proof that prospects are never a sure thing. Ozuna made it to the majors in 2000 at the age of 25 and hit .333/.333/.375 over 24 at-bats. He's never quite managed to stick at the major league level, however. Before this season he's never had more than 47 at-bats in a given year. His overall hitting line is .261/.297/.333 with a OPS+ of 63 and 0 MLB home runs.

Edgar Renteria ended up being a nice, solid player for the Cardinals. Over his 6 years in St. Louis he hit .290/.350/.420 and picked up 2 gold gloves, 3 silver sluggers. He had an especially great 2003, hitting .330/.394/.480 with 47 doubles, 34 stolen bases, and 100 RBI. That's a lot of production out of a defensive shortstop. Unfortunately for Cardinal fans, his 2003 season and not the rest of his hitting career was looked at this off-season, putting him out of the Cardinals price range. Well, I say unfortunately - the Cardinals appear to be doing just fine with Eckstein, Mulder, and Grudzielanek for about the same amount of 2005 dollars.

Win Share Totals

Edgar Renteria - 109 Win Shares (6 years in St. Louis)

Braden Looper - 50 Win Shares (6 years)
Armando Almanza - 10 Win Shares (6 years)
Pablo Ozuna - 2 Win Shares (4 years)

The Cardinals send Ron Gant, Jeff Brantley, and Cliff Politte to the Philadelphia Phillies in exchange for Garrett Stephenson and Ricky Bottalico

This trade is a classic example of teams dumping players that they really wish they didn't have onto each other, with both sides hoping they can get the benefit of a change of scenery bump in production. In the end, clubhouse benefits aside, the Phillies ended up getting the short term benefit of this trade.

Ron Gant and Tony La Russa supposedly didn't get along. Claims of racism surfaced, but have never made any sense to me personally. (Would a true racist actually dislike blacks, but have no problem with Latin players? I guess it's possible...) Gant had a respectable 1998, playing in 138 games and hitting .260/.364/.430. His 16 win shares that year were more than any Cardinal outfielder - it was a year, after all, in which Willie McGee got 271 at-bats while hitting .251/.293/.277. (How he got playing time with a racist manager is beyond me.) The Phillies kept Gant around until the trade deadline the following year, when they sent him on to the Angels. Overall, Gant played 5 years after his stint in St. Louis, hitting .254/.345/.457 with 37 home runs over 859 at-bats.

Jeff Brantely really was horrible after leaving St. Louis - even worse than he was with the Cards. Over three years, the current announcer went 3-10 with a 5.61 ERA over 85 innings pitched. Somehow, some way the Phillies allowed him to record 23 saves in 2000 despite a 5.86 ERA, 81 ERA+.

Cliff Politte was a player that, for some reason, the Cardinals threw in in this deal. Personally, I don't see why it was needed. He was born and raised in St. Louis and had shown some limited promise in a few of his 8 starts during the 1998 season. But gone he was. The Phillies eventually converted him to a reliever during the 2000 season, which was a good move for Mr. Politte. Overall, Politte is 11-17 with 14 saves and a 4.26 ERA over his post-St. Louis career.

Coming to St. Louis in this deal was Curt Schilling's buddy Garrett Stephenson. Stephenson was always a little bit better in his mind than on the field. Overall, the Cardinals got a good season out of him in 2000, and an O.K. one in 2003. Over four years in St. Louis, Garrett was 42-47 with a 4.46 ERA over 781.2 innings.

Then there was Ricky Bottalico. I'm not sure why the Cardinals thought that he would be an upgrade over Brantely considering his 6.44 ERA in 1998. But nonetheless, he was the new closer for 1999. The good news was he recorded 20 saves. The bad news was he had a 3-7 record. When your closer has a 4.91 ERA and 1.80 WHIP, things are not good - although, to be fair, he was actually better than Brantley in 1999. Thankfully, though, he was a free agent after the season.

Win Share Totals

Garrett Stephenson - 21 Win Shares (4 years in St. Louis)
Ricky Bottalico - 4 Win Shares (1 year in St. Louis)

Ron Gant - 39 Win Shares (5 years)
Jeff Brantely - 5 Win Shares (3 years)
Cliff Politte - 21 Win Shares (6 years)

The Cardinals send Shawon Dunston to the New York Mets for Craig Paquette

Two of my recent least favorite Cardinals involved in the same trade. I didn't really completely dislike Dunston, so much that I hated seeing him actually taking playing time away from J.D. Drew in the outfield. The defensive downgrade alone should have been enough, but Drew was a much better hitter - even against lefties, which was usually when Dunston got the nod (This was especially a problem in 2000, when Dunston came back like a fungus). Whatever the case, Dunston wasn't bad for the Cardinals in 1999, hitting .307/.327/.467 over 150 at-bats.

Craig Paquette was very similar to Dunston in that he despised drawing walks. In six major league seasons prior to 1999, Paquette's single season high in OBP was .296. Unfortunately (so to speak), he won over a lot of fans at the end of the 1999 season by hitting 10 home runs in just 48 games. Now - I can't completely discount Paquette. There is value in a guy that was able to play 1st, 2nd, 3rd, right field, and left field. And a power bat from the right side of the plate is always nice off of the bench. I simply never liked a player of his talent actually getting 340 or more at-bats in a season, as he did in both 2000 and 2001. Overall, Paquette spent parts of three seasons with the birds on the bat, hitting .267/.307/.461.

Sidebar - A friend of mine went to Colorado during the opening series of the 2001 season. Sitting on the lower level, he was able to maneuver into position to get an autograph from Paquette and speak to him briefly before the game. My friend asked Paquette how much impact young Mr. Pujols would have on the team that year. Paquette, obviously disgusted that Pujols might take away some of his playing time with McGwire on the DL, basically said "the kid isn't good enough to stick on the roster long enough to have an impact." My friend was so ticked that he ended up throwing away the baseball. That comment, combined with Paquette's general suckiness, helped me to thoroughly enjoy it when Vina went on the DL in 2003 - a week after Paquette retired from baseball while toiling in AAA Memphis.

Win Share Totals

Craig Paquette - 25 Win Shares (3 Years in St. Louis)

Shawon Dunston - 4 Win Shares (1 Year)

1999 Totals

Win Shares acquired by St. Louis - 159

Win Shares given up by St. Louis - 131

Net Win Shares gained - 28, or roughly 9 wins

Basically, Walt had what I would consider to be a great trade (Renteria), a solid trade (Paquette), and a bad trade (Stephenson/Bottalico.)

Renteria, as mentioned above, had a great run with the Cardinals. He was especially valuable to the team in 2002 and 2003 when he recorded 26 and 25 win shares, respectively. In fact, Renteria had more win shares in each and every season with the Cardinals than Looper, Almanza, and Ozuna combined.

Paquette drove me crazy, but he was in fact a solid bench player. The fact that Paquette had more WS in 1999 for the Cardinals (5) than Dunston had with the Mets (4) would have made it a decent trade to start with. When you further consider that he contributed another 20 WS with the Redbirds over the next 2 years - with Dunston as a teammate in 2000 as he re-signed - and it is an obvious no-brainer.

The third trade, as already stated, was a case of house-cleaning in both organizations. In reality, Gant ended up being the best player involved in the deal, but only had 2 solid seasons over the rest of his career. Considering that Stephenson had 1 himself, the bulk of the trade deficit in this deal was in the 1999 season. If the Cardinals could have kept Politte for themselves in this deal and worked them into their bullpen, Jocketty wouldn't have looked quite as bad on this one.

Here's the updated WS matrix, updated through the 1999 trades.

1996, -5, -2
1997, 9, 3
1998, -5, -2
1999, -3, -1
2000, -4, -1
2001, -26, -9
2002, -29, -9
2003, -15, -5
2004, -18, -6

Basically, you have the Cardinals not gaining or losing much in Walt's trades through the 1999 season. As far as future talent, the Cardinals had so far sent away roughly 9 wins in both 2001 and 2002. Could that deficit be made up in future trades? Stay tuned for the 2000 season, when Jocketty really kicked it into gear.

21 Comments:

At 12:24 AM, Blogger cardsfanboy said...

about the gant and the racist comments, I don't think it was so much a racist attitude against a skin color but against a particular style of person(that probably doesn't sound right) From my impression of Tlr was that he didn't like the 'hip-hop' attitude that some of the players exhibited.(nelly wouldn't be something that tlr would invite to the dugout)

I have no idea how accurate that assessment is, that was just my impression. (he didn't have personality problems with either ozzie or jordan for those reasons)

 
At 9:13 PM, Anonymous bittergradsudent said...

I thought that Brian Jordan did accuse TLR of racism once he was a Brave. But as Robb states, Willie never complained, Shawon Dunston never complained, Ray King doesn't seem to have issues, ray lankford never said anything that I remember, etc...

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger cardsfanboy said...

Gant accused TLR of racism, and Jordan defended TLR, saying that his and ozzies problems with tlr wasn't about race.

I just think tlr didn't like a 'laid back' attitude in the dugout, he wants to see his players focused on the game, not 'relaxing'...I think that was partially his beef with drew also.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger KEN said...

Great site and I really like this series.

Can I ask where you're getting your WS data? It seems like there are a number of resources on the Web, all with a different way of calculating it, so I was just curious which computation you're using.

Thanks,

KEN

 
At 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This waiting is painful; you got me hooked on this series of articles. Please come back and finish them up.

 
At 3:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was searching for chicago cubs photo and found your site.

I'm a huge Cub fan and I have been looking for other sites about chicago cubs photo

Dave

 
At 7:51 PM, Anonymous discount hotel austin said...

Hi Robb your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on discount hotel booking I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site discount hotel booking about discount hotel booking. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!

 
At 6:18 PM, Anonymous discount hotel austin said...

Hi Robb your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on discount hotel booking I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about discount hotel booking. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at discount hotel booking. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 5:38 PM, Anonymous discount hotel reservation uk said...

Hi Robb your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on discount hotel reservation uk I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about discount hotel reservation uk. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at discount hotel reservation uk. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 7:04 AM, Anonymous discount hotel miami beach said...

Well this blog certainly is not about airline employee hotel discount. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching airline employee hotel discount and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from airline employee hotel discount anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching airline employee hotel discount.
Even though my search is not on this post I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

 
At 2:15 AM, Anonymous st louis hotel discount said...

Hi Robb your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on discount hotel booking I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about discount hotel booking. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at discount hotel booking. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 8:02 PM, Anonymous airline employee hotel discount said...

Hey this blog is not about discount hotel niagara falls. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on discount hotel niagara falls and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Robb and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous st louis hotel discount said...

Well this blog certainly is not about discount branson hotel. What the heck! I guess the internet can play some tricks on us sometimes. I have been on-line for two hours
researching discount branson hotel and came tumbling across your blog. I LOVE IT! I needed a break from discount branson hotel anyways :-) If you don't mind I want to add your
blog to my favorites list so I can come back later on and read some more stuff. Well I guess I should get back to researching discount branson hotel.
Even though my search is not on this post I am glad I came across your blog. Keep blogging away!

 
At 11:12 PM, Anonymous airline employee hotel discount said...

Hey this blog is not about discount hotel reservation uk. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on discount hotel reservation uk and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Robb and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous discount hotel booking said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding st louis hotel discount and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) Robb your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on st louis hotel discount was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for st louis hotel discount for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

 
At 10:06 AM, Anonymous discount hotel deal said...

Hey this blog is not about discount hotel niagara falls. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on discount hotel niagara falls and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog Robb and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

 
At 4:55 AM, Anonymous madrid hotel discount said...

Hi Robb your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on discount hotel booking I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about discount hotel booking. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at discount hotel booking. You never know you may find some good deals!

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Antonio Hicks said...

I was just browsing various blogs as I was doing a search on the word poster, and I just wanted to say that I really like what you've done with your blog, even though it wasn't particularly related to what I searched for. I appreciate your postings, and your blog is a good example of how a blog should be done. I've only just recently started a Posters website - feel free to visit it when you get a chance if you wish. Much success, antonio.

 
At 12:06 AM, Anonymous discount hotel reservation uk said...

Hey Robb. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching discount hotel miami beach. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from discount hotel miami beach I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at discount hotel miami beach. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous discount hotel deal said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on madrid hotel discount and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though this post is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at madrid hotel discount. If you have the energy swing by madrid hotel discount. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous madrid hotel discount said...

Well I just got back from the gym and I am beat. I am currently doing some research on st louis hotel discount and stumbled across your blog. Which cracks me up really. The internet can certainly land you off base sometimes. Even though this post is not completely related I think it is a cool blog. I have read back through the archives and lots of people make some very good points. Well I have been on-line forever it seems. I need to continue to plug away at st louis hotel discount. If you have the energy swing by st louis hotel discount. I try to update my site weekly and maybe you will see something you like. I already snagged your URL and put it in my favorites. If you do not mind I will be back again. Great job!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home