Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Miscellaneous

On the plus side, I'm on a business trip doing work that got finished up early today. Thus, I am able to watch the Yankees and Red Sox on ESPN during the day!

On the negative side, I'm in Pittsburgh, the Pirates played earlier today so I can't get to that game, and I won't be able to see the Cardinals on TV tonight. Again. Thankfully, MLB.com has a cheap audio package.

- Interesting feelings watching the Yankees and Red Sox play for the 2nd time this week. (Gee, those poor East Coast teams never get any coverage, do they?) I used to love to see the Yankees lose to the Red Sox, but ever since the World Series....well, I've about had my fill of Bean town. Can I root for both teams to lose at the same time?

- Adding to the interest, I find myself happy every time Edgar Renteria hits into yet another out (or in his case, 2 outs as he's hit into 2 double plays today.) I'm all for a free market economy. I believe that everyone should attempt to negotiate the best salary possible for themselves. But there's just something about Edgar continuing to say the Cardinals "didn't respect" him. Let's see, the Red Sox are paying you approximately 8% of their total payroll, while the Cardinals offered you 11% of theirs. Respect?

- The Ying to Renteria's Yang is Tino Martinez coming off of the Yankee bench. I hope he's happy back in New York. God knows that all he seemed to talk about during his 2 years in St. Louis was New York.

- Of course, there is Tony Womack as well. Man, am I glad the Yankees "stole" him from St. Louis! I suspect he'll get the Javier Vazquez treatment this off-season.

- For a nice article on the Cubs loss last night, head on over to The Cub Reporter. They, as always, do a good job of holding Dusty Baker's feet to the fire.

3 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember a comment Tino made in April 2002, where he felt Cardinals fans needed to be more critical. He felt they needed to rag on the players more when they weren't playing well, like Yankees fans do.

My first thought, "yeah, it's not going to work out for Tino here."

 
At 12:27 PM, Anonymous joeg said...

man, that is exactly how i feel. i hate the yanks because i live in brooklyn and these yankee fans drive me nuts. they might be the dumbest people on the face of the earth. and there has to be more bosox fans than mets fans here, which makes sense, since apparently MLB only consists of two teams.
i love watching edgar blow it.
i like tino, (the only likeable yank since paul o neil) but he didn't fit in with the cards.
gruz and eck are actually both growing on me, but that has to be because al hrabosky said they would.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Robb said...

You know, the truth of the matter is that I don't have anything against Tino Martinez (or even Renteria when you get down to it.) My biggest problem with Tino wasn't even with Tino in the first place - it was with Jocketty (and La Russa) bringing him in at a price at least twice what he was worth by the 2002 season in an effort to (more or less) replace McGwire.

His New York comments were annoying, but not unexpected for a guy that had had the best years of his life with a team/city. (Kind of like Mike Myers and his Boston comments this Spring.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home