Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Hiding Under a Rock

I don't have much time to post right now, but did want to put something out there just to show that I'm not quite ready to give up. I'm not expecting much at this point, mind you, but I'm not ashamed, either.

Yes, I was at the game last night. I have to say, it was most likely the worst Cardinal game I've ever been to. The Cardinals were out-pitched, out-hit, out-hustled, and maybe even out-defensed. To top it off, the weather wasn't all that great, and I had the prospect of traveling to Chicago this morning to look forward to. Quite the contrast to Game 7 of the NLCS, just 6 days previous.

When the Cards had the bases loaded and one out in the 1st and hit into a double play, the crowd died. When they had runners on 2nd and 3rd with no outs and hit into that freakish double play, the crowd was completely gone, and never fully recovered.

I realize Jeff Suppan looked like a complete idiot on his base running play. But don't forget - he was actually on base in the first place, having 1/3 of all hits given up by Pedro on the night. And for the series, Suppan has the same number of hits as Scott Rolen, Jim Edmonds, and Reggie Sanders....COMBINED!

The most frustrating thing of all is that the Cardinals are not showing their true colors on the big stage. We all know they are better than this. Yes, their starting pitching is worn down and not a true representation. However, they should be better than this with the bats, on the bases, and out of the bullpen.

I still like the Cards chances to win tonight and tomorrow night, I honestly do. And I told a friend of mine heading into this series that I would be shocked if they didn't win at least 2 games. Now I'm praying that they can win one. Not only does one win avoid a complete disaster in the World Series, but it helps the Cards financially. When the Cardinals picked up Larry Walker, part of the justification from a financial standpoint used by the Cardinals was that every home playoff game would bring the Cardinals an additional $1 to $1.5 million of profits. The Cardinals were already virtually guaranteed to be in the playoffs at that point, and Walker would help them go even deeper. That extra bit of cash generated in a Game 5 could be the difference between the Cardinals landing a decent starter this off-season and....well, not.

At this point, it looks horrible. But losing 4-1 to Pedro at home pales in comparison to what the Red Sox were looking at when they went down 3 games to 0 to the Yankees, as they lost their Game 3 19-8 at home. It's not over. It's just not pretty.

2 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, Blogger Cardsgem said...

Not Ashamed?

I am embaressed by this team right now.

They stopped playing when they won game 7 against Houston....not sure what this team is playing with the cardinal uni's on now, but it is not the Redbirds we all watched all year long.

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Len said...

I'm not sure that the Cards weren't trying. Baseball performance is, by its nature, streaky. Watching the games I got the impression (subjective, granted) that they were trying, but when your pitching (starting and relief) and hitting goes south all at once, it's hard to put runs on the board and keep the opponent's runs off the board.

As the old saw goes: wait 'til next year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home