Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Clinch Notes

I wasn't able to watch the entire game last night, but did get to see the bottom of the 9th, along with the post-game celebration. Here are a few random notes from what I saw.

Matt Morris only threw 78 pitches last night, and apparently that was by design. Not only that, but the Cards are planning on skipping his next start. Last Tuesday, Brian at Redbird Nation posted this little stat:

Previous Start IN ER ERA
<> 100 pitches 91 64 6.33

I further saw a stat showing that Morris is better on 5 days rest as opposed to 4 days rest. Looks to me as if the Cardinals will in fact be starting Morris in the post-season, but will probably be certain to keep an eye on the pitch count, and ensure that he gets plenty of time between starts. That may in fact open up an occasional Suppan start in the playoffs.

In the Post-Dispatch this morning, Tony LaRussa says it's "60-40" that Chris Carpenter will pitch in the first round of the playoffs. 60-40? When pressed a little further, he said that sounds more pessimistic than it is, and that he would be surprised if he didn't pitch in the first round. That still makes me a bit nervous, though.

Scott Rolen in a post-game interview (with Champaign in his eyes) said that doctors haven't cleared him to jog yet, which is less than encouraging. He says he can hit, and that he can field for the most part, but running is the problem. But at the same time, he says he thinks he'll be able to play by the end of the road trip and be ready for October.

Edgar Renteria talked on camera last night, which is apparently a rare occasion, as he is not comfortable speaking English. In the brief interview, he mentioned that he hopes a deal is done for next year, and that he would like to finish his career with St. Louis. Even though those are the things players are supposed to say, he sounded as if he was sincere.

In a similar conversation, Reggie Sanders said he would also like to finish his career in St. Louis, and Jason Marquis mentioned that he hopes to pitch in St. Louis for a long time and bring championships to the city. I like to hear that out of key members of the team.

All in all, it was a fun night. The injuries to Carpenter and Rolen have me a bit concerned, but I think the Cardinals are in a position to rest those guys more than they might require if the division was in play. And even if we have the same concerns in 2 weeks, the team is still formidable without those guys.

3 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Socnorb11 said...

Robb,

The things that caught my attention were almost the exact things that you've already mentioned, but I'll add a couple of my own observations:

I thought I watched the entire post-game. Other than King and Izzy, the bullpen wasn't very well represented. No Kline? No Tavarez? No Eldred? No Calero? No Ankiel? As for position players, I don't recall anybody interviewing Womack (I would have been curious to hear his thoughts on next year) or Pujols (um...... this guy has been KINDA important to the championship run). I also thought it would have been cool to hear from Lankford.

I also think it should be noted that almost every single player that was interviewed, mentioned that they were disappointed that they didn't get this done at home, but they are planning some "bigger" celebrations at home, in October :)

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Robb said...

I also noticed that the bullpen guys weren't interviewed much. However, they were only in the locker room when I was watching for about 20 minutes, maybe less. Considering they talked to almost everyone, that's not bad.

I saw Kline, Tavarez, Calero, and Eldred running around in the lockeroom, but never saw Pujols. It's quite possible that he was busy doing post-game interviews and thus wasn't able to be in the mix that soon after the game.

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Socnorb11 said...

Yeah, they did a decent job, considering the time constraints. And, it's only the division. I expect they'll budget more time for the League Championship celebration, and obviously for the WS celebration.

Heck, I even noticed Mike Lincoln in the locker room. I thought it was pretty cool when TLR hugged each player, individually, as they left the field. Nice moment.

On another note: Al Hrbowsky is the absolute WORST! I can't believe that some Cardinal fans bag on Steve Stone. He's Jack Buck, compared to Hrbosky (OK... bad analogy...... but you see what I'm getting at).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home