Friday, August 20, 2004

Welcome to my blog

I suppose a bit of introduction is in order.

I was born and raised in a small town in Southeast Missouri - Puxico, namely. Never heard of it? You probably aren't alone. (In the off-season sometime, if you're interested, I can give you a town history. ) Anyway, I - like many other people growing up in the 1980's in Missouri - became a die hard Cardinal fan at a young age.

After graduating from college in 1995, I moved to the Chicago area. During my time there, my interest in the Cardinals only became stronger as they provided me with a link to my childhood memories.

In late 1999, I began posting on message boards in an effort to be as closely tuned in to Cardinal roster moves and rumors as possible. I figured - what better and quicker way to stay informed than to have instant access to individuals living in the St. Louis area? To this day I am still active in posting on internet message boards, and see it as a great opportunity to share information, learn new things, and vent frustration from time to time.

Earlier this year, I had the opportunity to move to the St. Louis area. Now that I myself have access to more information on the Cardinals than any time in my life - local TV, radio, newspapers, etc. - I have decided to start my own web log. I had actually considered starting one up after the season, but how can I pass up a chance to write about what may be the best Cardinal team of all time? (More on that in a later article.)

What can you expect to read here? During the season, I plan to attempt to write articles at least 3 times a week, along with at least once per week during the off-season. Having a master's degree in engineering, my writing is going to usually focus more on the analytical side of things. To paraphrase William Hung of "American Idol" fame - "I have no formal training." As a matter of fact, I think I graduated from college with a total of 2 classes in English.

When it comes down to it, I plan to use this blog as a place to put down my thoughts, analysis, ideas - or in other words, my reasoning. If no one else ever reads this site, it will still be valuable to me. If, however, by some chance someone out there ends up liking to read my thoughts, then all the better.

So, with that being said, welcome to my weblog!

5 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Socnorb11 said...

Looking forward to it, Robb. I assume you'll be providing weekly updates on Corey Patterson's OPS progress. You may want to add a beverage machine to the site ;)

The William Hung reference is classic, for us AI fans. Funny stuff! However, if you get caught up in the madness, and break into your own rendition of "She Bang", I'm afraid I'll have to check out, immediately.

Best of luck, Robb! Thanks for letting me know about your latest venture!

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Robb said...

Don't look now, Socnorb, but Patterson has an OPS of .799 heading into today's play....

Corey is hitting .354/.417/.622 in August, good for a 1.078 OPS. What's more, he's drawn 6 walks over 65 at-bats. Compare that to 3 walks over 102 at-bats in July.

I'm freeing up some room in my fridge as we speak.

For those of you confused by the Cubs talk, Socnorb and I made a wager late last season. I said that Corey Patterson wasn't going to turn into the player the Cubs claimed a few years back, but that he would still post an 800 OPS in 2004. Socnorb took the under, and it's been a close race all season.

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger Socnorb11 said...

Robb, I was wondering if we should keep this whole thing on the down low. I'd hate for this gambling thing to keep me out of the Hall of Fame, y'know.

Just to clarify, I didn't make the bet because I'm a Corey-hater. He seems like a good kid, really. Probably one of the more likable players on their team, when you think about it. I just couldn't imagine how he could keep those numbers up, considering his refusal to take a walk. Lo and behold, he starts taking some pitches, and everything comes together. He could become pretty dangerous if he buys into what he's currently doing.

Rand

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger NianguaToad said...

Nice to have one more medium available to offer the voice of reason.

On the topic(s) at hand...I know about Puxico, MO...having spent a night or two in Dexter (where $48 gets you a suite with a king-sized bed and a four person jacuzzi!!, just a short drive away from a great joint for ribs); and the reference heard earlier this year that Patterson was "the next Lou Brock" is one of the funniest things heard this season.

 
At 1:15 PM, Blogger Robb said...

Socnorb brings up a good point - I am no more of a Corey Patterson super fan than he is a Corey basher. While I suspected he could post an 800 OPS this year, I wouldn't have made the same bet with Socnorb if he had raised the bar as little as 20 to 30 points.

There is a fairly good rib place in Dexter, MO. I've never had the pleasure of staying at any hotels in that fine metropolis, however.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home